Raissa Almira's Something to Remember Me By: A Short Review

 "You made a choice to leave,
So let me make a choice to love you still."


In between reading two heavy books, poetry certainly offers a different kind of diversion. That and because a local poetry author Raissa Almira was kind enough to send me a copy of her new book, I picked up Something to Remember Me By a few days ago in between my Red Queen series binge-read. 

As seen on the pretty pink hardcover, this book is a collection of poems following the topic of love and heartbreak. Like the other two books by the author, the poetries are mostly short and the illustrations simple, but they go with each other well. It was certainly a delight trying to figure out what the drawings attempted to represent, and since the diction wasn't difficult to understand, connecting the line was quite easy.


Some of the poetries felt a bit similar to one another, but I suppose that's because the theme love and heartbreak, albeit universal, has a certain vibe around it. My favorite was definitely the longer ones, especially the story of a little meet-cute in Seoul and a love letter that is long overdue. I loved this one too:

"You put me in a moonlight and shower me with the stars you paint at night
and I have never felt so beautiful before tonight."


For those of you who have a soft spot for love poems, Something to Remember Me By may be a book for you. The words were easy to digest and the love/hurt narrative was actually very easy to relate to. Last but not least, I want to thank the writer for allowing me to read and review her third book. It's been a lovely pleasure to experience these kinds of romantic poems after being busy all day at work. What a nice refreshment indeed.

Actual rating: 3.5